Steven Gerrard has issued a transfer warning to Rangers fans after confirming that even one new addition would be Rangers ‘doing well’.
Despite securing £3M on Thursday night, Gerrard’s transfer ambitions have in fact doused after rather a flurry of activity earlier in the window where, for example, Cedric Itten and Kemar Roofe were both announced on the same day.
Since then though, the work in the window has gone extremely quiet with a number of exits, but no further additions, and the manager has revealed that he has little to no hope of securing anything new in the next few days despite having a seven-figure sum to now work with.
It’s a bit of a shame, because as we said, a new addition or two could be the difference between 55 and second place, and while Rangers’ current squad is far better filled out than last season, nevertheless injuries already this season have demonstrated its fragility. And when it comes to the business end of February and March, Rangers really need to have a full squad of high quality to call upon in event of further injury and suspension.
But it appears in this window at least, the chances of this surfacing are now minimal.
There is a big caveat. Steven Gerrard, as we’ve said before, is clever in how he talks, and keeps his cards close to his chest.
He may well be deliberately lowering expectation and in fact there are incomings in the works – until they’re over the line he can’t say anything.
Either way though, we don’t expect a number of new players before the deadline next week.