Why Rangers fans need to wake up to Hibs’ threat

9

When this entry was published here in September, as you will see from the comments, it was rather ridiculed by a section of supporters.

That ridicule was especially fuelled by their surprise draw when St Mirren went to Easter Road and left with a point, especially given Ian Murray’s men’s lowly position in the table.

However, events since that unexpected result have given further credence to the view that Rangers’ title chances have a real threat on their hands, with Mark Warburton only too well aware his adversary Alan Stubbs has begun to cultivate a winning team and one which is benefitting from an extra season of building over their Ibrox counterparts.

At a basic level we can point to the result at Easter Road – while Rangers did not play diabolically by any means, they were second best on the day – and sure, a bit of luck did help Hibs keep their guests out bar that one fortuitous deflected goal, but ultimately they were worthy winners over the 90.

And if we look more deeply at their fortunes since St Mirren held them, their results have been, frankly, better than Rangers’. They put away Dundee United, on top of defeating then-SPL top side Aberdeen earlier in the season, and have scored 21 goals in their past 8 games to Rangers’ 18, conceding 6 goals to Rangers’ 7.

Rangers were well beaten by their SPL opponents St Johnstone and the reality has to set in for Rangers fans sometime soon that while their side has a game in hand, Hibs’ victory over Livingston this week has put them within only two points of the lead.

From the 11 it could have been, 9 have been whittled down and Rangers must travel to Almondvale and win in order to keep their title rivals at arm’s length.

Even the recent stroll v Alloa has to be put in context given Falkirk in third breezed even more emphatically against the Wasps since then to the tune of 5-0.

The point?

Complacency and arrogance have potential to be Rangers’ undoing – fans, myself included, who believed after the incredible start enjoyed that Rangers would stroll to the title have to now respect the fact it just is not going to be that easy.

Falkirk and Hibs are now serious rivals – even 6 points over Houston’s men is no foregone conclusion.

Warburton will know this only too well, and the hope now is Rangers go on a convincing run, catalysed by the confidence-building coast v Alloa, and start to build up momentum.

Because Rangers are not going to bestride home to Ibrox with the title like a colossus with something to spare – it is going to be a real battle and it is time Rangers fans accepted the threat Hibs especially now pose.

9 COMMENTS

  1. In my opinion at the moment and for a good number of weeks hibs are lookin stronger than us,they have two out n out strikers that take there chances more often than not n seem to have the ability too put teams to bed convincingly wer as apart from the game against Alloa we be struggled especially against better opposition. I would say we need too get 3 or 4 players in January too make we win this title cos in my opinion on form at this moment at time hibs are the better side n going from strength to strength n don't look like loosing. But there isn't much between us so January is going to be very crucial. Wud to surprise me if the manky mob loan more players to hibs.

  2. It's one third of the way through the season, so there are still too many unknowns – winning/losing runs, injuries, last minute penalties…

    As it stands, Rangers probably have a 50% chance of winning the title, Hibs 40% and Falkirk 10%, taking into account current league position, depth of squad, ability to strengthen in the new year.

    Rangers could romp it, so could Hibs, Falkirk could even clinch it.

  3. We need an out and out striker who is lethal and unforgiving in front of goal,,, Miller and Clark are not the answer,,and Waghorn (who i really like) misses far too many easy chances that have cost us. We also need a big, strong, no nonsense centre half to stop the silly goals we are conceding. Do that, we will win the league,, do it not,,, we will struggle. Not a great fan of the international breaks,, our players always look sluggish and not match fit when they return,,, .January signings will be important,, hopefully Warbs, Weir and McPartland are aware of what we need.,,,,

    • Have cost us how ?? Yes Waggy has missed a few but what have they cost us .We have only one loss and I don`t remember him having too many easy chances in that game .Every striker misses a few even Super Ally used to miss a few .How you can say we will struggle after the start we have had and how we have played is beyond me .Struggle is what we did last season.

  4. come on win the league no problem and kenny miller has promised the title next year then champions league last 16 oh happy days

  5. Correction and amendment: from the 11 points it could have been, 11 have been whittled down. It's always good to have the most up to date data!

  6. After the game at Easter road, I left my umbrella so I had to go back and make enquires at the ground. As I was leaving the lost property office, I saw Alan Stubbs wearing a magic hat!

Comments are closed.